Monday, 1 August 2016

Hide and Seek

       "Ready or not here I come!" I heard John shout through the shady woods from our camping spot. I jumped up and wrapped my fingers around the branch of an old oak tree, I hauled myself onto the branch and weaved my way in-between the leaves until I was out of sight. As I knew I was going to be there a long time I sat and I switched on the radio app on my phone and put my headphones in. 'Crackle...Crackle "Breaking News" Crackle "In" Crackle...Crackle "Two men" Crackle "Weapons" Crackle...Crackle'. I could barely understand what the radio said due to the poor connection in the woods hence I put my phone away. I heard the snap of a stick and the rustle of leaves below, I crouched down and peered through the leaves expecting to see my friend John.
       Two men having a conversation in Russian stood at the trunk of the tree they were both powerfully built wearing jeans and leather jackets, one wore a beanie and the other had his bald head exposed. The one wearing the beanie was leaning onto the tree and talked in a strange mix of English and Russian, he also held a cigarette in one hand letting little red embers fall to the ground. The other man spoke in fluent Russian and seemed way less stressed than the other. I leaned forward in curiosity to try and make out what they were saying. I reached my hand onto a branch below and my headphones slid out my sweaty palms, they fell to the ground. The sound it made as it hit the leaves alerted the Russian men they weren't alone.
       I rapidly climbed higher into the tree causing it to shake and give away my location. The Russian man not wearing the beanie looked up and shouted "Zdravstvuye" as the other hit his forehead with his hand and whimpered "I cant do this anymore." in a thick Russian accent. The one wearing the beanie started shouting in Russian as the other looked up squinting trying to make out my body. The man wearing a beanie started to cry and danced around in self pity, he than shouted one last thing in Russian ,letting spit fly from his mouth, to the other man, who was still focusing on trying to find me, and ran off. The man still under the tree not wearing a beanie ignored his friend and held up a Glock 43. I stared as my body was flooded with terror due to the sight of the lethal weapon.
       "Show yourself!" shouted the man in his Russian accent which was only just understandable "I have a gun and I will shoot!". I slowly climbed deeper into the tree praying I was dreaming, the man pointed the deadly weapon roughly in my direction and I heard a click. I climbed into the next tree making the least amount of sound as possible whilst the man said "Guess we have to do this the hard way." and his index finger wrapped around the trigger and tightened releasing a bullet and call for death which echoed through the now silent woods. The bullet flew rapidly two inches away from my body into the bird filled sky. I climbed in fear from tree to tree as bullets flew each side of me, I jumped down from the treetops as there was nowhere for me to climb to and I ran along the leaf covered ground doing each tree trying to loose the powerfully built man. A bullet smashed into a tree beside me pieces of bark flew from the trunk, fleeing in fear like the animals. My thighs burnt as I had the urge to throw up, I ran followed in close pursuit by the Russian Man who repeatedly shot in my direction. I reluctantly peeked over my shoulder to see where the Russian man was and as I was focusing on what was behind me my body smashed into a large oak tree and I fell to the ground as the Russian man stood over my body blocking out the light. He held the gun to my face and...

No comments:

Post a Comment